Wednesday, October 10, 2012

whats really in a name???


I've never really had to think about how important picking a name was until these past few months. You can see I wasn't very good at it when it came to our first son (our dog) he got stuck with Buddy. How original right? At first I thought I had names all picked out. If it was just a boy like we assumed we were good with Harper, reason being it was musically based (Travis is a musician), modern, unisex, so we thought it fit. Once we realized it was twins I automatically hoped for a girl and a boy so then we were set on Sophie and Harper. But finally that day in the dark ultrasound room when we heard the words 'two boys' everything went out the window and we were back at the drawling board!!

Just that quick everything changed all of a sudden it all became such a serious matter. Those names were 'cute' but now they needed to be strong, manly names. Names with meanings much deeper than "music" or just the fact I "liked it". I soon realized God had a greater purpose for these babies and that it is my job to seek Him for everything concerning them. He showed me one night in a dream scripture that I had never read before, it came through a lady in our church that had passed away about 4 months before this happened. She was the definition of a Godly woman, a praying woman. She in my opinion was the closest person to God I knew. I trusted anything she said and knew she heard and spoke to God daily, she had prophesied over a many of people all around the world, saw limbs grow back and miracles happen all the time, big or small. In my dream she started preaching to me out of  Luke 10, she also specifically said Luke 10:11. Because this dream was so real, I ended up reading the scriptures the next morning. The very first verse says this :

 After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also,[a] and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 

That alone I took note of, two by two and were having twins. Just the whole chapter let me know these babies have a purpose greater than I know.

..So I decided to start praying and asking God what we were suppose to name them. Over the next few days of reading names and looking up meanings I had decided that I've always liked Malachi but never even knew it was a biblical name, I first heard it on Save The Last Dance (my favorite movie) but every time I had mentioned it to Trav he wasn't 100%. So we kept looking, he had been liking Elijah since we found out we were pregnant but I kept saying no. For the next two weeks I continued to pray about it and then it was like everywhere I looked or everything I heard was either Malachi or Elijah. Whether it was at church or TD Jakes preaching, t.v., so I went and looked up the meanings of both names. Malachi means "God's Messenger" and Elijah "Jehovah is God". Well those meanings fit everything I believe these babies are purposed for.

Then the settling factor was one Thursday morning I woke up turned on the TV and the very first thing I heard was that man from the 700 club say (no joke) "in the book of Malachi it talks about raising Godly children" that was my confirmation, so I grabbed the Bible and turned to Malachi and read it to see exactly who he was and what he did. I was amazed that it does talk about raising Godly children, it talks about divorce which was where we almost ended up but was raised up from, then in the last page he talks about Elijah. That blew my mind, I was sold. I didn't know prior to that he was for telling of the second Elijah who happened to be John the Baptist. It was like duh that's your babies names. How much clearer did He have to be. I also read about Elijah in Kings that morning to find out about him too.

When I told Travis that afternoon there were no questions or confusion about it. We just knew and so now I know without a shadow of doubt that my marriage is of God and that Travis was created for me, and now I also know I didn't just pick names for my children but God gave me there names.

Its amazing when you can say that to someone, or just to know it in your spirit that God has shown you things, talked to you, gave you visions and dreams and you are on the right track. Nothing compares to that. My prayer is that everything in my life I can say I know because He has told me, whether it be a house, car, job, friends, anything and everything. Anything less and your left wondering around this big ol' world aimlessly

No comments:

Post a Comment